Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Top Ten Movies to look forward to in 2008







Salutations to all. After a couple weeks of straying from the usual content in my blogs, I am back with another top ten list about movies. I think it is fairly easy to realize that I am an avid movie lover and never miss the chance to talk about them. I would also like to point out that I can only think of two people who look forward to upcoming movies more than I do. I am not trying to brag; in fact, if anything, I think I am pointing out a character flaw in myself that tends to be a nerdy obsession with movies that haven't come out yet. Too often I hype up a movie in such a way that I am inevitably let down once I finally see it... So it is.

Having said all that, whether it is a compliment to my personality, or a personal vice, I can't help but get excited for some upcoming movies. And this year, there is quite a lot to get excited about in my humblest of opinions. The movie to beat, so far, is Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It was absolutely hilarious and everyone needs to go see it. But there is still a lot to talk about in regards to the future. So, here goes nothing.

Top Ten Films I am Looking Forward to in 2008:

10. The Incredible Hulk. As I understand it, this is pretty much a do-over from the last Hulk movie, directed by Ang Lee. That movie was seriously one of the worst movies I have ever seen. But this one isn't a sequal; it's a remake, and it stars Edward Norton, which immediately establishes some credibility. I'm cautiously optimistic, but watch out... This movie could sneak up on us and be bad ass.

9. Body of Lies. If I knew more about this movie, I probably would have it higher on this list. But what I do know is that it is directed by Ridley Scott and stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe. Not bad.

8. Iron Man. Again, I'm cautiously optimistic. I didn't think much of Iron Man in my youth, and I didn't think much of the movie idea when I heard of it. But then I found out that Robert Downey Jr. is starring in it (and I believe i have already expressed my admiration for his work in one of my posts) and saw the trailer. The trailer is sick so I repeat, I am cautiously optimistic.

7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. A lot of potential in this movie. The book was slow so this could be a rare case where the movie exceeds expectations. These movies have fair acting at best, but everything else, in my opinion is usually exceptional.

6. Pineapple Express. If I reveal too much about this movie, then I feel I will reveal too much about my own habits. So you can find out for yourself.

5. Burn After Reading. I know virtually nothing about this movie except that it is a comedy, it is directed by the Coen Brothers, and it stars Brad Pitt and George Clooney. That's good enough for me.

4. Quantum of Solace. It's the new Bond movie. Need I say more? Of course not, but I will anyway. I just took my girlfriend to go see a movie and I saw the illest poster for this movie. I didn't even know they were making one! Well I knew they were making one, but I didn't know it would be out this year! I was almost disappointed with myself for the lack of knowledge, but then I remembered they were releasing a new Bond movie this year.

3. Wall E. There was a huge internal debate for me about the three and four positions on this list. And though the last bond movie was totally awesome, they aren't all awesome. But all the Pixar movies are. I have ZERO doubts that I will love this movie.

2. The Dark Knight. The problem with pre-judging movies based on the trailers and such, is that I have already dubbed this movie as a possibility to be my favorite movie ever. It looks so awesome. And people won't even remember the Jack Nicholson Joker after they see Heath Ledger's. If you haven't seen him in the trailer, you need to. I'm calling it now, he's going to get nominated for an Oscar. His tragic death may have a hand in it, but that doesn't mean it isn't deserving. Granted I haven't seen the movie yet, but in the trailer, he is completely transformed.

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I don't think I'm going to like this movie as much as The Dark Knight, to be perfectly honest. But how can I not hook it up for Indiana Jones. Besides, sometimes, the older a man gets, the more kick ass it is when he starts kicking ass. Plus, they had to wait this long 'till the script was right... I'm not worried.

Just Missed It:

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. The last one was pretty awesome... surprisingly.

Get Smart. Looks pretty funny, but not sure if it will be.

No comments: