Thursday, April 10, 2008





What up? This is Josh and you are reading my blog. Usually, I write a lot of lists about movies and music and such, but I feel that this week I need to pay homage to the great city in which we live. I grew up in Oakland, just across the bay, but have lived in the great city of San Francisco for about four years now, and would rather not live anywhere else. It's great; and yet I feel I don't fully take advantage of living in one of the greatest places on earth. Regardless, I would still like to give you some insight on what I think the best things to do in the city are. Some of these activities are general things that can be done regularly, and some of these things are personal events that have happened once or twice that were so much fun. Nonetheless, my list is as follows:

Top Ten things to do in San Francisco.

10. Zeitgeist. Zeitgeist is a bar in the Mission district. Is it my favorite bar in the city? Probably not. Is it my favorite bar in the Mission? Probably. But the reason I'm putting it down is because we once went there during the day to see my friend off, who was moving to Oregon. He showed up a couple hours late, but my other friend and I started drinking heavily anyway. This was at 1pm. It didn't help that they had my favorite beer, Great White, on tap. The moral of the story is, I was so hammered by 6pm that my girlfriend had to come and pick me up. It was awesome. I probably had 12, maybe 15 beers... And a couple jager shots. 

9. Exploritorium. I haven't been there in a while, but it was good times when I was younger.

8. Go to the Haight. Good restaurants, great shops, fun bars... It's just a great time. And there is usually some valuable things that you can find. It is lame when you get yelled at by the gutter kids who think they own San Francisco, but it doesn't ruin my day.

7. Scavenger Hunt. One time my girlfriend made a fatty scavenger hunt for me and our friends, who knew very little about the city. It was an all day event and we had to go everywhere. It was totally cool and one of the best days I've had in the city.

6. Ocean Beach. On a nice day, there are few things better than going to Ocean Beach. Nothing more need be said.

5. Dinner Downtown. Whether it be at Union Square, North Beach, or wherever, dinner downtown, especially during the winter, is really fun. It makes me feel classy.

4. Thursdays. This is just a little tradition that our friends have. It takes place at my buddy's house and it consists of heavy drinking and lots of beer games. Moosehead and civil war are the best ones.

3. Fisherman's Wharf/ Ghirardelli Square/ Pier 39. It's fun doing the whole touristy thing down at the wharf. You have to get some clam chowder in a bread bowl. It's delicious. And on Pier 39 you have got to get the mini donuts. They are so good.

2. Picnic/ BBQ in the Park. I love Golden Gate Park, and on a nice day it is totally awesome to just hang out all day in it. Ultimate Frisby is a must. And any excuse for day drinking is also high on my list. I usually like to get deli sandwiches or subs for lunch. I recommend the Submarine Centere in West Portal, or Marina Sub.

1. A's Games. I don't care what anyone says, this is my blog and I can do whatever I want. And if I say that A's games are part of San Francisco, then in this blog they are. Go A's!

No comments: